Do you Want to be a Leader?
(or an even better Leader
than you are today)
“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.”
John F. Kennedy
Some people believe that leaders are born not made, that it is natural ability that elevates the best to stand out from the rest.
I don't agree!
All the leaders that you and I admire have made conscious decisions to
- learn the skills,
- develop the qualities and
- practice the actions
that have made them recognised and followed by others.
The great thing is that if they have learned, then so can you.
And I can show you how.
This site is for you ......if you aspire to be a leader.
... or if you want to be an even better one.
... if you want to learn what makes good leaders great.
... if you want to be recognised and admired by willing followers.
Whether you are already a leader with some experience and some success, or whether you aspire to be a leader and want to take the first steps to being recognised as such by others, this website will give you the help you need to learn to be a leader, with engaged and motivated followers.
This site is mainly material that I have written, based on experiences and insights. But I have also built in some links to other resources, a list of fantastic eBooks and even my own Amazon store of recommended reading.
Just work through the navigation bar on the left of the site and follow your interest. Or use the search box below to look for what you want.
Please subscribe to my e-Zine, Learn2Lead, to keep up to date with developments on this site and leadership news.
Please use the contact me form to let me know what you think or to request further information.
- You can learn ...
- What you can learn about being a leader from Learn-to-be-a-Leader.com.
- What is leadership? Define leadership and leadership characteristics.
- My favourite definition of what is leadership - and some others! And a look at different types of leadership and some of the implications for leaders.
- Leadership versus management. Defining features of leadership and management.
- What is the difference between leadership versus management? Are they different roles and functions, or just two names for one thing?
- Leadership theories, leadership models and leadership principles.
- An overview of the main leadership theories, models and principles, in everyday language. Backed up by more in depth descriptions and references to the original work.
- Leadership Skills. Exactly what are leadership skills?
- My favourite lists of leadership skills, those necessary for effective leadership.
- Leadership qualities
- A look at my favourite lists of desirable, good leadership qualities.
- Leadership styles. What sort of leader are you?
- Just what are the different leadership styles? I give you an easy to follow overview.
- Situational leadership
- An overview of the classic model of leadership styles, Hersey & Blanchard's situational leadership theory.
- Transformational leadership
- My summary of what is meant by transformational leadership theory and the skills involved.
- Transactional leadership - is it a poor relation to transformational leadership
- My summary of what we mean by transactional leadership, and when it might be appropriate
- Leadership Ethics - are there ethics in leadership and what are they?
- An overview of leadership ethics - what do followers expect of their leaders?
- Leadership quotes - in their own words.
- My favourite collection of some of the best leadership quotes around.
- What leaders do - the functions, tasks and actions of effective leaders
- A list of what leaders do - the effective ones, with enaged and motivated followers, anyway!
- Success Cycle
- Use the Success Cycle to create a strategic leadership plan - for your organisation, your team or yourself!
- SMART goals - a new improved approach
- Why SMART goals don't work and a new definition!
- Four steps to being an effective leader
- These four steps are simple, easy to remember and they really work! The best summary of leadership I know.
- Seven habits of highly effective people
- An overview of Stephen Covey's powerful list of the seven habits that distinguish highly effective people.
- Authentic leadership
- A description of authentic leadership, based on Kristin Robertson's seven characteristics
- Military Leadership. Is it different from civilian leadership?
- I look at military leadership and quote the leadership philosophy and principles of a leading Commanding Officer.
- Public leadership
- What do we mean by public leadership? Can we look up to our leaders in the public eye?
- MAPP Assessment
- A brief outline of the MAPP Assessment tool and an opportunity to take the test - for free
- Fifteen Skills Assessment
- A fifteen skills assessment of your leadership potential - on line.
- Leadership Development - options in leadership education, training & development
- An easy way through the maze that is leadership development!
- Leadership Books - to help you learn to be a leader
- A list of great Leadership books - all available online.
- About Tony Harvey - founder of Learn-to-be-a-Leader.com
- This will tell you about Tony Harvey, the "I" behind Learn-to-be-a-Leader.com.
- THR consulting
- Find out about THR consulting, the corporate twin of Learn-to-be-a-Leader.com
- Learn to be a Leader Blog
- The Learn to be a Leader blog will keep you up to date with all Learn-to-be-a-Leader site updates and leadership news.
Please subscribe to the Blog using my RSS feed.
- Subscribe to Learn2Lead
- Subscribe to my e-Zine, Learn2Lead
- My toolbar
- Download my toolbar - to keep up to date and have instant access to Learn to be a Leader
- My Amazon store for "Learn-to-be-a-Leader"
- My Amazon store contains some of my favourite leadership products - to help you find them easily.
- Site Search
- Search Learn-to-be-a-Leader.com using this customised Google site search page.
- Links to other sites
- Links to other relevant leadership sites that might interest you.
- Contact Me
- Contact Me - a direct link to Tony Harvey,